Each facility you operate is unique, which is why you need professionals with the process engineering experience to fully understand each individual process and identify bottlenecks, hazards and efficiencies. Our engineers have decades of experience with upfront process engineering sequences and studies. We have performed dozens of process feasibility studies to help our clients understand production, capacity and staffing issues as well as projected economics. From material and energy balances to process flow diagrams, your process will be fully defined from the start. We can also provide specialty process services such as pressure relief valve design, process hazard analysis studies and equipment safety risk assessments to give you the confidence you need in a completely designed system that will be safe, code compliant, and fully functional.
Wenck offers Feasibility, Front End Planning, FEED and Stage Gate development for large-scale projects in the industrial and bio process industries. Our Stage Gate process provides clients a structured methodology to ensure a project is economically feasible and fits a company’s overall business objectives. Our process involves risk management including project safety, environmental compliance, and adherence to stakeholder interests from start to finish.
From feasibility, specific deliverables are defined to provide required documentation at the start and end of each phase. These deliverables along with capital cost estimates are reviewed to confirm project financials and goals are on track allowing stakeholders to make effective business decisions to proceed to the next stage. At the end of the FEED stage, a cost estimate is provided to determine if the project will move forward. At this time, more funds are committed to purchase equipment, build foundations and start to install structure, piping, and instrumentation. This staged approach enhances alignment of stakeholder’s expectations as the project is developed and reduces risks considerably while providing efficient engineering costs and shortened project schedules.
Wenck has in-depth knowledge and decades of experience in food and dairy process applications. Our team members are former plant engineers or have an OEM equipment manufacturer background. This unique perspective ensures that we understand the complexities of producing ready to eat food products per your specifications. Our multi-discipline team will utilize this knowledge and experience to provide complete process design, from incoming raw materials to finished product.
- Grinding and Milling
- Material transfer
- CIP / COP
- Ingredient Delivery and batching
- Pneumatic Conveying and Material Handling
- Packaging and Palletizing
- Food Grade and USDA 3A Dairy compliance
- Demountable equipment design for tool-less in field cleaning
- Hygienic HVAC Design, filtration, pressurization, Air Handling Unit internals for clean-up
- Culinary Boiler steam and Hot Water clean-up systems
- Detailed piping/insulation/jacketing design for food plants
- Industrial Refrigeration Design
- Food grade compressed air/oil-less
- Dust control
Wenck provides a wide range of engineering services to the Oilseed Processing industry. From innovative plant design and layout to process engineering and environmental services, Wenck has the experienced engineers & designers required to assist with your next facility expansion or new facility. We understand all aspects of oilseed processing from grain receiving, cleaning, crushing, oil extraction, meal processing, refining/bleaching/deodorizing, meal/oil storage and loadout. We have relationships with multiple specialty equipment suppliers and construction contractors and work closely with them to ensure the most efficient design and proper selection of equipment to meet your needs. We partner with our clients to develop workable solutions to meet your needs.
Our multi-discipline team will utilize this knowledge and experience to provide complete process design, from incoming raw materials to finished product.
- Preliminary design to develop conceptual designs and information required for project feasibility and funding
- Detailed design including specifications and documentation required for construction
- Innovative facility design utilizing latest technologies including 3D laser scanning, 3D modeling and incorporation of models into Virtual Reality
- Assistance with environmental permitting
- Site layout and development
- Dust control and aspiration system design
- Utility system design for steam/condensate, compressed air, process water, and cooling water
- Wastewater re-use and energy conservation system design
Wenck has a wide range of knowledge and in-depth experience required to implement our client’s often novel ideas, expansion needs and processes for a wide range of technologies such as fermentation, anaerobic digestion, biomass deconstruction and catalytic upgrading. Throughout the life of project, we provide our clients with the guidance and solutions needed to ensure successful outcomes. Safety is an important aspect to every design, particularly for those processes handling hazardous materials, which is why we take a safety-first approach resulting in inherently safer design solutions. Our multi-discipline team will provide design and selection for all the systems and infrastructure required to operate the facility including close coordination with equipment and specialty system suppliers.
Wenck has the expertise to complete Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Plan (RMP) compliance related services. The PSM and RMP programs are administered by OSHA (29 CFR 1910.119) and the EPA (40 CFR 68) and are for the management of highly hazardous chemicals. Wenck is primarily focused on facilities with Ammonia Refrigeration but has performed PSM related work on facilities with flammables, chlorine and other chemicals. Wenck is familiar with current codes and standards as well as RAGAGEP for ammonia refrigeration systems and flammables containing processes.
- Full initial PSM program development to fulfill the PSM & RMP standards.
- Assistance with RMP initiation for new facilities as a designated ‘preparer’.
- Three-Year Compliance Audits conforming with 29 CFR 1910.119 (o) and 40 CFR 68.79.
- Process Hazard Analysis for new facilities or a five-year revalidation conforming with 29 CFR 1910.119 (e) and 40 CFR 68.67.
- Project Hazard Review to fulfill Management of Change requirements to consider impact of change on safety and health as a project centered PHA. (29 CFR 1910.119 (l)(2)(ii) and 40 CFR 68.75 (b)(2)).
- Third-Party Compliance Audit when required for RMP covered facilities to fulfill requirements in 40 CFR 68.58, 68.79, 68.80 (implementation by March 15, 2021 per EPA).
Benefits of using an independent third party for PSM and RMP compliance:
While third-party involvement in a facility PSM/RMP program is not required by the standard (yet, as noted above) it can still provide beneficial results to your program. A third-party compliance auditor will not be biased to the quality of the existing program or be fearful of repercussions from findings of non-compliance. Third-party auditors or PHA leaders also bring ‘fresh eyes’ to a facilities PSM program and can provide insights or best practice suggestions to help streamline a PSM program or PHA facilitation session. Wenck has provided PSM services to numerous facilities and can bring a wealth of knowledge on PSM program management.
Wenck has the capability to perform 3D laser scanning using a state-of-the-art Leica RTC360 laser scanning system. Our experienced
technicians and designers are able to accurately measure up to two million points per second with an accuracy of 2.9 mm at 20 m. 3D scanning is a much safer way to collect large amounts of data in a fraction of the time compared to manual data collection. The automated, real time field registration creates colored, 3D point clouds and HDR images in a fast and efficient manner. With the gathered data, Wenck helps our clients collaborate and complete complex projects in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner. Laser scanning has also been shown to reduce engineering costs by 10%.
• 3D CAD models created from the scan data
• Raw Point Cloud Data if the client desires to create their own 3D models
• High definition photorealistic images utilizing TruView which allows everyone on
your project team to view the project site from anywhere, anytime
• Wenck can also provide complete design drawings from the information generated by the scan and 3D models
• Integration into VR and AR models
Potential uses include:
• Existing facility upgrades and expansions
• Reverse Engineering (3D model creation of existing sites and structures)
• Clash detection
• Stock pile and other features volume measurements
• Forensic data gathering and documentation
• As built construction verification
• Pre and Post Construction scanning to capture locations of conduits, rebar, etc. in walls and slabs
• Scanning existing conditions to provide detailed specifications for the removal of asbestos and other regulated materials
Virtual Reality is a 3D computer generated environment where individuals or teams can explore and interact with the environment allowing them to manipulate and investigate features inside the model.
The use of Virtual Reality is relatively new for engineering and industrial clients, but the potential uses are endless. With Virtual Reality clients can have their stakeholders walk through a three-dimensional model of a new or upgraded facility to see what it will look like before it is built.
- Constructability/design reviews
- Stakeholders can walk through the facility and familiarize themselves with the layout and locations of critical items such as equipment, valves, and instruments prior to the start-up of the facility, reducing the amount of time it takes for them to get up to speed.
- Operator training
- Queries of objects provides people with information of that object such as drawings, maintenance records or operating conditions.
- Remote collaboration is possible by allowing people in multiple locations around the world to immerse themselves real time in the virtual model, streamlining the design process.
Wenck has the expertise to develop a VR model of existing or new facilities and provide a Virtual Reality system to our clients, including set up and training so that they are can take advantage of this innovative technology.
Augmented Reality is the next step in this immersive environment and allows a person to not only immerse themselves into a virtual world, but allows them to overlay digital images and information onto the physical world around them. This can be accomplished using someone’s smartphone or tablet.
We welcome the opportunity to learn more about your organization's facility & process engineering needs.